As Lonzo Ball continues to work his way back from offseason knee surgery, Rajon Rondo is expected to be the starting point guard for the Los Angeles Lakers.
According to ESPN’s Dave McMenamin:
“Luke Walton told me today that Rajon Rondo will be the Lakers’ starting point guard to start the year,” said McMenamin during an appearance in ESPN Radio’s Lakers Talk. “Lonzo told me he was just cleared today for full contact practice, but Walton had already said that won’t include scrimmaging.”
Ball was diagnosed with a torn left meniscus in late June, according to Stadium's Shams Charania, and underwent successful arthroscopic surgery in mid-July. That comes after Ball was limited to just 52 games as a rookie.
Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka announced last week that Ball has been "100 percent cleared by our medical staff to return to full basketball activity." However, Walton previously made it known that Ball would not take part in five-on-five drills at the beginning of training camp because the team did not want to rush him back into action.
Rondo isn’t too concerned about the idea of starting with this group, as he is showing his willingness to come off the bench if that is what is deemed necessary.
“Whatever role coach gives me, whatever role this team wants me to play, I’ll play it,” Rondo said on Monday’s Media Day. Whether it’s starting 15 games and getting benched for eight, I’ve been through it all in my career. I’m ready for anything. I’m not defined as one thing coming here. I’m just here to bring what I can to the team. Intangibles, obviously be a leader, hold guys accountable and bring a championship mentality.”
While the 2017 No. 2 overall pick figures to be a big part of the Lakers' future, the team is in a position to be cautious with Ball. The Lakers are unlikely to rush Lonzo Ball back into action, which could give Rondo plenty of run during the start of the season alongside LeBron James and company.